Friday, January 30, 2009

Broken




The CD drive on my computer doesn’t work. I don’t know why, but for some reason over a year ago whenever a CD or DVD went in, it could not be detected and my computer wouldn’t play it. I could have had the problem fixed, I’m sure, but as it is it’s only a minor nuisance; enough so that I complain about it, but not enough to outweigh the imposition of going through the motions to find out what is wrong and pay to fix it. I have slowly grown accustomed to it.

It is not great though. I also cannot import CDs into my computer, so any new music that I receive has to be downloaded from the internet if I want to put it onto my iPod, my most common form of music playing. I like to listen to music most of the time, and it has been strained. I try to listen to records, since I reckon that if I am not playing music through my computer I might as well get as “organic” as can be. But records take a lot. My wax library isn’t nearly as large as my digital one, and I have to physically get up from whatever I am doing and flip the record over or change it out every 20 minutes. This is not the end of the world by any means, just a minor annoyance, as I said before, but it changes the way I interact with music. It’s not that I used to be passive and now am active, but instead that I have to literally engage with the product of the sound. I have to get up.

No comments: